Friday, May 13, 2011

Custom Desk

For a while now, I've been wanting a desk. I knew exactly what I was looking for, but I needed it to fit our printer (with a pretty big footprint) and my sewing machine, and a lot of other "crafting" accessories that little hands seem to find themselves in everyday. I found the overall "look" I was going for.
Walmart


Sauder 
But I didn't want a flimsy pressboard POS that I had to put together and replace after one move with the military. So then I explored buying a real hardwood desk but I saw the price tags grow, and that just wasn't an option.
That's where my amazing father comes in. I drew him up some pretty rickety plans and along with these pics, he was pretty confident we could build it. 
We started the project back in December, but since I don't have a table saw (**birthday's coming up, Paul...just sayin**) the cuts weren't square and he wasn't going to "make it work" and have it turn out crappy, so we waited for his next visit when he could bring his saw down and do it correctly. 

For a mere $150 in materials, here's what we did...


I'm so happy with the results I can't even tell you. It fits everything perfectly!

Thanks again for all the help dad!

No comments: