Wednesday, February 13, 2008

One dog too many...

Well, here is the sad, sad news...we are no longer the proud parents of Skoshi. I thought long and hard about it, and decided she would be much happier and safer in another home. I don't know what I was thinking, getting a new dog right before a new baby. (everyone say "I told you so.") Add breaking a foot (twice) and potty training a 2-year-old into that mix and I was asking for trouble. So I am relieved that everything has worked...here's the scoop...
My friend Emily, who I know from the theater, sent out an email about 4 weeks ago asking if anyone knew of or was selling a small dog. They were looking to get one and wanted a lead. I got the email and the first thing that I thought of was Skoshi. Then I felt terrible thinking about getting rid of her and deleted the email out of guilt. It never went away though. I kept having thoughts that it wasn't working out. We love her, don't get me wrong, but we felt annamosity from Louie. Almost like he was annoyed with her. He's an old man, he just wants to sleep, she wants to play, every second, every day. Well, if Louie isn't palying with her, then who do you think should be? ME. Not gonna happen. I am too busy to keep her occupied. I just couldn't do it. So I kept feeling bad that I couldn't give her the attention that she needed. Then, whenever she would have an accident in the house, I would freak out, and that only stressed out E and H, and scared Louie.
I decided that it was time to fess up to the mistake that I had made. I got Skoshi because I was too impatient to wait for Hannah to arrive. I wanted something cute and cuddly now. I am so dumb. I got a puppy: cute and cuddly when they are too old to play, but not so much when they need to be potty trained and they are chewing everything you own.
I emailed Emily back about 2 weeks later and asked if they were still looking. Luckily they hadn't found anything yet. We had them come over to meet Skoshi, and I think they fell in love right away. They have older children that knew better than Ethan, not to trap Skoshi in the corner and taunt her (or I hope). They were also very understanding that she was territorial of me, and when they tried to pet her she would growl when sitting on my lap. They had extreme patience when it came to her warming up to the family...it was fate! They were to be her new family!! YAY!! She would get the love she needed. They took her for a "trial preiod" of 2 weeks, and I just got word that she is fitting in great with the whole family, including the cat and other dog they have! I am so happy. I feel so good knowing that she is in a loving home with people who will give her the adoration she deserves. She was such a cute little puppy, and I would hate for it to be wasted on a sleep deprived, stressed out, mommy of two, i.e. me. So, thank you Emily, if you are reading this, you have lifted a huge burden from us, and we are so happy she is in a great home!
Ethan doesn't seem to notice too much, when he did ask where Skoshi was the other day, we told him she went to live with her new family. Now he walks around saying "Skoshi live with new family"...it's sad, but pretty cute that he understands.
OH, and Louie seems so happy to just be lazy now....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OK, so I didn't read this entire post and am still commenting...is that illegal in the blogosphere? Probably, sorry. But after I read "we're getting rid of Kosher...er...shish-Kosh-Bob...er whatever her name is" and then read the word "guilt" in there somehere, something overtook me and I uncontrollably clicked the comment link. I have to take the risk of looking like the stereotypical man and say, "It's just an animal...no guilt allowed! That animal could care less that it's gone and off to another home...you are doing the right thing and your children, your home, your husband, your health, are INFINITELY more important that an animal" whew, that feels better...OK, so seriously..I'm proud of you Sis. You know I've never been much of a pet guy (sniff, sniff... Dustyyyyyyy!!) but I don't hate them either. The one thing I can't stand though is when we think animals are on the same plain (plane, in your case) as human beings. Not no way, not no how..ya hear? Go play some tennis, it'll ease the pain...:)