Thursday, June 05, 2008

Potty Training

SUCCESS!!!
Ok, it's almost been a full week, and he only had 2 accidents the first day we started!  AGH!  I can't even believe it!  He is telling us when he has to go, taking his shorts and underwear off by himself, and even holding it for longer than he did before!
Part of our success I think is that we are trying to say the positive words instead of the negative words.  Let me explain.
When someone walks into a busy restaurant kitchen with an arm full of dishes and someone says, "Don't drop those dishes!" The person's brain picks up the action words and then the other words. "drop dishes" is what is heard first, followed by "don't". The person dropped the dishes because that's what in his head. ( I say 'he' cause I wold never drop a stack of dishes! LOL)
SO! Instead of saying "Don't pee pee in your shorts", we now say "Keep your pants dry."  And he knows "Pant's dry" = reward.  It goes with every website and parenting magazine I've read about positive reinforcement.  If all you say is Don't do this and no to that, then that is all they are going to here and then they stop listening. (I think)  Maybe this whole thing is just a fluke and he just wants to be like Carson, this little girl that lives next door that he's smitten with.  Either way, I couldn't be more proud!




No comments: